In the aesthetic dreams that Pinterest and Instagram fuel, I imagine the perfectly lit kitchen smelling of healthy morning pancakes cooked on a sizzling cast iron skillet. I dream about the quiet mornings where I made breakfast for my family on a Sunday, no one yet awake, leaving me to alone start to fill the house with the scents of food and coffee. If I try very hard, I even can picture arms encircling me from behind as I pour a cup of coffee…. but we’ll stop there – because otherwise this will turn way too erotic too quickly for this blog.
To sum it up: I adore the idea of making healthy pancakes with coffee and tea for a small family in the early morning hours of the weekend. So when I found this recipe for Healthy Chai Banana Pancakes at Half Baked Harvest, I was very invested.
- 2 whole eggs (option to add two more egg whites if you want your pancakes fluffier)
- 1 medium ripe banana, sliced
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For topping: anything you want. I opted for making a warm berry-syrup topping along with a large scoop of full fat greek yogurt.
- This one is super simple – combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until the oatmeal is ground and it looks a bit like pancake batter (30 sec – 1 min)
- Take your skillet and toss on some butter or olive oil.
- Wait until its warm and then slowly pour out 1/3 cups of the batter to make small pancakes, waiting until you see little bubbles on the side appear, flip it – and then wait until it’s dark golden.
- Continue to make a stack of delicious pancakes
- Top with anything you’d like: greek yogurt, berries, maple syrup, whipped cream and even chocolate chips.
- Pinterest-Instagram dream: complete