If there’s one thing I know for sure about oatmeal, it’s that it carries with it high standards. We’ve all tasted our fair share of boring and flavourless brands of Quaker oats and brown sugar: so when a blog tells me that I’m going to want to eat this all the time, I’m skeptical. But thanks to Pinch of Yum for the incredible idea! I am entirely in favour of having delicious oatmeal that tastes a bit like autumn and a bit like dessert all at once. With this recipe: I added in pumpkin puree because I love the taste of pumpkin… and I have leftover pumpkin puree from Thanksgiving (still).
During the winter, I’m particularly in love with recipes that warm you up inside. The ones that feel nourishing and toasty are some of my favourites. Send me a soup, warming oatmeal or cookie recipe any day of the week and I am on it. Enjoy! Let me know suggestions in the comment section below 🙂
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1/5 cup quinoa
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup oats
- 1/2 cup water (add more as needed)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Pumpkin puree (yum-ness)
- pear, peanut butter, all of the toppings you could want
- You’ll start out simple, drop the coconut milk in a sauce pot and bring it to a boil. Once you’re contentedly boiling, add in the quinoa and salt and reduce.
- Now you prep any other toppings you want (i.e. chop the pear if you’e so inclined) – and once the quinoa is cooked: add in your water and oats. I also added in the pumpkin puree in (and used around 1/2 cup) at this point. You’re going to be figuring out your texture here. I prefer oatmeal a bit thick, so I only used 1/3 cup – but if you want something more “soup” like – then go for as much water as you need, and simply stir in between to check your consistency
- Take the oatmeal off the heat and toast some coconut flakes on low heat on a separate pan
- Add EVERYTHING IN because oatmeal is the easiest recipe possible
Note: I assumed this was for one person and I would HIGHLY recommend using this amount for two, as my stomach was quite painful afterwards, even if I was overwhelmingly satisfied.